Friday, October 3, 2008

Iceland: World Book Capitol?

Via Twitter from top_book:

The Icelandic Sagas: Europe's most important book?
Let us begin with a question: which is the best read country in the world? Recent research revealed that in Iceland more books are written, published and sold per person per year than anywhere else on the planet. On a recent trip there I discovered the average Icelander reads four books per year, while one in ten will publish something in their lifetime.

Emphasis added by me.

Who knew?!

I want to read this book:
How could you not be excited by stories that feature characters who sound like they comprise a Scandinavian death metal band: Audun The Uninspired, Sarcastic Halli, Hkraki Filth and – my favourite - William The Bastard?

It sounds timeless to me!

Previously here:

Chronicles Of Depression 2.0: #274: Iceland
If An Earthquake Isn’t Twittered, Did It Happen?
Iceland: Greed Capital Of The World?

No comments: