Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Distorted Lens

Father-of-two can't get a job - because employers think he's 'too ugly'
I just want to work - I don't want to be claiming benefits. I'm prepared to work and I need to work, if it means retraining in another job I will do it.

And:
Edward worked at a food factory near his home in York for nearly ten years until last month when he was made redundant due to a restructuring of the company.

Christ, the guy's a father. What are his kids going to think? Not to be seen with Dad because he would embarrass them?

This is yet another reason I despise the distorted image of people Hollywood and celeb culture disseminate. I call those highly-photogenic specimens Beauty Mutants. Real people don't look like that. And if it was illegal to have beauty-surgeries, all of you would be in for a hell of a shock, seeing what those stars look like naturally.

Go look at old black and white movies. Those were average-looking people who became legendary -- and immortal -- stars. Clark Gable, James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Myrna Loy, Bette Davis, Jean Arthur. Today's images make them look like sub-humans! Morlocks against Eloi.

You'd think people would have the frikkin sense to figure out, "Hey, if this guy has this job, he can't be ill with something I'd contract."

Eejits.
I can't stand looking at pretty-looking people, because I don't think that's what people really look like.

-- Scenario magazine, v4 #2, interview with Pi director Darren Aronofsky, pg. 94

No comments: