Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Statin Drugs: What You Must Know

This is a long article that's a must-read for anyone who has been placed on a cholesterol-lowering medication. There are things in it I hadn't encountered in other articles on the Net.

Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Haven’t Been Told About Popular Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines

From my own experience, I highlight this:
Cholesterol is vital to proper neurological function. It plays a key role in the formation of memory and the uptake of hormones in the brain, including serotonin, the body’s feel-good chemical. When cholesterol levels drop too low, the serotonin receptors cannot work. Cholesterol is the main organic molecule in the brain, constituting over half the dry weight of the cerebral cortex.

Emphasis added by me.

When I stopped my statin and deliberately increased my cholesterol, the serotonin rush I got was astonishing. My brain felt as it had when I was a child!

Unfortunately, that level of serotonin didn't last. It makes me wonder.

And no no no, I'm not interested in any of those selective-serotinin reuptake inhibitors!



Let me take a swipe at them while I'm here tilting at part of the establishment:
'But,' I said, 'now that I am well I haven't written a story or poem in six months. And worse, it doesn't even bother me that I haven't. I am only bothered by not being bothered.'

In the long run, the cure called Prozac doesn't fill your mind so much as empty it of its contents and then leave you, like a pitcher, waiting to be filled.

-- Prozac Diary by Lauren Slater; pages 77, 81

Oh yeah, that serotonin rush shifted me into pure bliss.



I'd rather be a sullen writer than a blissful non-writing eejit.

Previously here:

Was My Brain Screaming To Itself?
Statin Drugs And Ersatz Alzheimer’s
Statin Drugs: More Fraud
James Kendrick Describes His Stroke
Statin Drugs: Two Notes
Statin Drugs: No Blood
Statin Drugs: Does V.P. Dick Cheney Take One?
Statin Drugs: Jarvik Ads Withdrawn
Statin Drugs: More Better!
Statin Drugs: Pain For Nothing
Statin Drugs: Survey
Simvastatin Made Me Insane
Simvastatin: This Happened To Me Too!
Simvastatin Vs. My Mind
Stopping My Statin
Give Me Back My Mind!

No comments: