Monday, June 2, 2008

The Scan That Ate Monday



I ran Ad-Aware 2008.

I ran Spybot Search & Destroy.

Then I ran avast! anti-virus.

When I said this stuff would take hours, I damn well meant it!

Here are the avast! stats:

529,320 files
7,907 folders
65.1GB of data
7:38:38 run time


Now I want all you people out there who are drooling about the prospect of terrabyte home servers to ponder that.

When you have a terrabyte drive holding a few million files, how damn long will that scan take? A weekend? Half a week? A whole week?

I've been running avast! all the time. It still wound up finding two frikkin adware files and a damned Win32 trojan horse that I'm still not sure it was able to exterminate!

Spybot found that same Win32 trojan horse and claimed it had deleted it!

Times like these make me despise technology.

No blogging today.

1 comment:

Michael said...

im at 23 hrs run time 1.6 million files done. around 50% less in complete scan apparently