Monday, October 13, 2008

Wil Wheaton: No DRM For You!

why i won't ever infect anything you buy from me with drm
I'm not that worried about piracy, to be completely honest with you. I agree with Cory Doctorow that obscurity is a greater threat to an artist than piracy, but I also trust my customers more than the average publisher, because I believe I have a different relationship with them (you) than the average publisher has with, say, me. Maybe this is a little naive, but hear me out.

I'm in a unique position among creators. I feel like we (meaning me and you who are reading this) share a relationship that most creators don't get to share with their audience. I mean, I can read a Stephen King book and enjoy it, but I have no real expectation (reasonable, anyway) of ever meeting him or exchanging ideas with him. I can watch How I Met Your Mother every week, but it's incredibly unlikely I'll ever get to talk with Neil Patrick Harris about how awesome Barney is. Because I feel a more personal relationship with all of you who've supported me by buying my books and watching my work on television, I don't worry that much about piracy. I don't believe that anyone who reads my blog and is interested in hearing me perform my work would deliberately steal from me any more than they'd walk into a friend's house and take money out of their wallet.

Go read the rest!

Previously here:

Chronicles Of Depression 2.0: #226
Best Wishes To Actor George Takei
DRM = Destroy Remaining Market
Quote: Wil Wheaton
I Heart Wil Wheaton
Tell Them, Wil!
Wil Wheaton Drives A Nail Into My Future Coffin

No comments: