Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chronicles Of Depression 2.0: #196

Does anyone know what's going on? You bet
I had not, however, paid attention to the Paddy Power website. I will now, though. Over the weekend everyone suddenly noticed that it now predicts that the next airline collapse will be Alitalia or Air Berlin. Exploring further, I find that the “novelty bets” section could be every bit as useful - or indeed useless - as any respected media pundit. The Irish bookie, free from the slightly puritanical mien of his British counterparts, winkingly invites cheeky bets on every reasonably tasteful issue from the Turner Prize to the next Archbishop of Westminster. On this latter, someone has taken the trouble to bet on Bono at 500-1. In the papal stakes, another bright spark leapfrogs the College of Cardinals list to put money on Father Dougal of Craggy Island at 1,000-1. I cannot justify why this raises my spirits, but it does.

Betting on how everything we know will unravel and collapse.
And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

-- Matthew 27:35

All prior Chronicles of Depression 2.0 posts. Read them before you must.

No comments: