Monday, July 7, 2008

The Ultimate Awful Moment

The Urge to End It All
In September 2000, Kevin Hines, a 19-year-old college student suffering from bipolar disorder, leapt from the Golden Gate. [...]

“I’ll tell you what I can’t get out of my head,” he told me in his San Francisco living room. “It’s watching my hands come off that railing and thinking to myself, My God, what have I just done? Because I know that almost everyone else who’s gone off that bridge, they had that exact same thought at that moment. All of a sudden, they didn’t want to die, but it was too late. Somehow I made it; they didn’t; and now I feel it’s my responsibility to speak for them.”

Emphasis added by me.


Martha: All those things you've been ready to die for. I thought for a moment there you'd finally found something worth living for.


The Doctor: Oh... there's always something worth living for, Martha.

-- Doctor Who, season four episode six, The Doctor's Daughter.

No comments: