Thursday, August 28, 2008

One Writer Reveals Her Kindle Royalties

This Time Next Year We’ll Be Millionaires!
No, I haven’t suddenly gone into the business of flogging dodgy goods off a pitch at the market, nor will I be claiming that said goods have fallen off the back of a lorry either. But I did take a little peek at my Amazon Kindle books royalties for my M. S. Valentine novels and wah-hey - I’m now up to thirty bucks! (And yes, that’s in U.S. greenbacks.) Okay, I realise this might only get me a couple of foot-long sandwiches at Subway with a bit left over for a trip to Starbucks, but this could be a nice little earner, as Del Boy would say.

For those of you who haven’t read my previous blog post on the subject (”Is the Print Book Destined For Death”), my very first Amazon Kindle book The Captivity of Celia was published a few weeks ago, and since then the entire catalogue of my out-of-print M. S. Valentine erotic novels have been re-issued on this platform. I’m so impressed with the Kindle’s ease of use and potential for growth that I’m now looking into putting together a special collection of my short stories and having it sold via Kindle. This electronic reader is growing in popularity, and I’ve no doubt Amazon will develop a version compatible in other markets, such as the U.K. and Europe.

This is the first time I've personally seen an author disclose Kindle eBook sales. I'm unclear here as to why she's claiming the figure as "royalties," however, since she's the publisher.

Is there any sort of forum where writers are swapping this news?

Any writers out there who care to disclose here in Comments?

Does anyone have any census of how many writers are self-publishing through the Kindle Store?

No comments: