Saturday, October 25, 2008

Own It Now On ... Book!

Could Daniel Craig help books?
Do you know the generic campaign the book trade should have? One that stresses book ownership. Why is it only in the film world that we see signs saying: ‘Own it now on DVD?’ Why don’t we ever see that for books? I’m partly playing devil’s advocate here. We all know the reasons. With very few exceptions – Harry Potter, a new Hannibal Lecter title, perhaps – there just isn’t the ‘must have’ quality to books.

Some days I wonder if what I see on the Internet is actually from a different planet than the one I am imprisoned on am trapped on exist on try to live on.

Let me put things in perspective for all of you.

Walking to the store a few weeks ago (when the weather wasn't miserably cold!), I passed by a guy in his twenties hanging out in front a building. In the hallway was a young girl, perhaps fourteen or so. He saw she had a book in hand. It went like this:

Him: What are you doing with a book?

Her: Reading it.

Him: Reading it?!!?

Her: I like it.

Him: You're a bookworrrrrm? Is that what you want to be? A bookworrrrrm?

Yeah, so that shit about a ‘must have’ quality to books? Where I am, there isn't even a ‘must have’ quality to reading.

Welcome to the real world, jack.

Now deal with that first.

No comments: